Home » About Us »Historical Instruments
COMPASS AND WATER-COLOR SET
This priceless set is presented by Yusuf Izzettin Efendi (1857-1916) in 1914, who was the son of Ottoman Sultan (Emperor) Abdülaziz (1830-1876). It was used for positive cartography of maps at different scales as well as for drawing circles and arcs, dimensioning geometrical shapes. Some parts were proved to be made from ivory. The whole set consists of 144 parts.
It is a C-4 type map compilation (stereoplotting) instrument which was manufactured by German Zeiss in 1923. It was the most perfect Photogrammetry instrument of its time working with optical double projection principle. It was purchased in 1938 and used for the production of 1/25.000 scale maps. It is still in good condition.
UNIVERSAL BEARING INSTRUMENT
This instrument, which was manufactured by German Max-Hildebrant, was purchased in 1930 and used for first order triangulation and bearing angle determination.
5 MICROMETER THEODOLITE
This instrument was manufactured by French Gautier especially for Ottoman Empire in 1895 and used for measurements of horizontal and bearing angles beginning 1909 and also during the field works conducted later for the establishment of first order triangulation network.
OFFSET PRINTING MACHINE (Viktoria Merkür – 1910)
It was manufactured at Rockstroh WERKE Factory/Germany in 1910. It was used at General Directorate of Mapping for a long span of time, between 1909-1978.This machine is a developed version of stone press method. Instead of stone, letters molded from lead were used. Still in good condition.